Friday, January 9, 2009

AUSSIE OPENER MATTHEW HAYDEN WILL NOT BE FORCED TO RETIRE


Out of form Australian opener Matthew Hayden has vowed that he will not be pushed into retirement, despite selectors appearing to have made the decision for him.On a dramatic day when Hayden was dropped from the one-day team, chief selector Andrew Hilditch backtracked on an earlier pledge to take the batting veteran to the Ashes, the Daily Telegraph reported.Hayden said he will not be forced into retiring from his 103-Test career, but conceded that the next fortnight could be decision time if he wants to go out on his terms."Ultimately it will be my call to look in the mirror and say, 'Mate it is time to go'... or it's time to saddle up, pull your socks up and get on with South Africa and the Ashes," Hayden said.The Queenslander will play for his beloved Bulls in a Sheffield Shield game on January 30 in his only chance to stake a claim for next month's Test series in South Africa."It is very difficult to take a breath and get your mind around what my future does hold. I am going to take the time to do that. It is a time to take stock," he said. "I think I'm supposed to have a miracle answer but I want to take my time and make a good decision moving forward. I want to enjoy what's gone and try to refocus as I've done several times through my career."If I don't feel like I'm contributing to that (Australian cricket) culture . . . then I will be knocking on their (selectors') doors," Hayden added.

Hayden knew the writing was on the wall for his glorious 161-match ODI career, but was still shattered when Hilditch delivered the news in Sydney on Wednesday night.In a significant pointer that Hayden has now also played his final Test, Hilditch backed away from statements earlier this summer that he wanted the veteran to play through to the Ashes.NSW young gun David Warner will be Australia's new Twenty20 opener in Sunday's tie South Africa while Queensland all-rounder James Hopes is likely to take Hayden's opening slot in the one-day team.

No comments: