Wednesday, April 1, 2009

IPL 2:Pietersen 'willing to learn' during IPL stint


Despite complaining of home sickness, former England skipper Kevin Pietersen is keen to take part in the Indian Premier League which he said would be a "different kettle of fish" as compared to the national team's lengthy expedition to the Caribbean.A disgruntled Pietersen wanted a two-day break from the West Indies tour and spend some time with wife Jessica Taylor in England, sparking a debate as to the South Africa-born player's commitment to the national team.However, the flamboyant right-hander claimed he was misunderstood. "It was a human emotion, I was missing my wife," Pietersen said. "I haven't seen my wife since January 21st - the longest I've been away from my wife."I might have been a little bit too honest or I didn't explain myself as properly as I would have liked to have done last week. I don't think I was wrong in anything I said, it just didn't come across the way I would have liked," the 28-year-old told Sky Sports.He also insisted that IPL would be a different ball game and will be primed to take to the field for Bangalore Royal Challengers after spending a week with his wife."What happens in two weeks (the IPL) is a totally different kettle of fish and that's the difference. I'm going to spend a week at home with my wife and then go back to business," said Pietersen, who along with fellow England star Andrew Flintoff, became the highest paid player in the IPL, worth $1.55 million.The former England skipper reiterated that IPL would provide him a lot of scope to learn. "I've always said that I'm willing to learn and I will learn in the IPL, playing with some of the best players in the world. I am going to South Africa to learn."I want to be the best person I can possibly be and the best player I can possibly be, which helps England and that's what all the players want to do," he said.

No comments: