Friday, March 13, 2009

Lee determined to take new ball in Ashes


Australian pace spearhead Brett Lee is determined to take the new ball in the first Ashes Test against England at Cardiff in July.Lee's position has come under threat after Mitchell Johnson, Peter Siddle and Ben Hilfenhaus ensured Australia maintained their No. 1 world ranking by rattling South Africa in their own backyard.But Lee says he is working hard on his fitness after recovering from an ankle injury and wants to return for the crunch series against England to become the first Australian to take 400 Test wickets as well as 400 limited-overs international scalps."I'm probably the fittest and strongest I've ever felt," Lee was quoted as saying in the Daily Telegraph. "I got back from India and was close to 82kg, now I'm up to 93kg."I've had a great 10-week programme working with my personal trainer Paul Haslam and we've been doing different types and styles of training to what I've been used to."Two days after the (ankle) operation, I was in the gym doing upper-body work, and when I got off the crutches and out of the moon boot, I started the lower-body work."I'm running, rowing, on the bike, swimming and had my first net session on Wednesday at the SCG," he said.Lee said he is looking to get back with his team-mates."It will be great working with the guys again. Mitchell Johnson has been outstanding, Peter Siddle, Hilfenhaus, these guys are now starting to make a name for themselves, and it will be great to be in that mix again."I've only bowled in one net session, but I've got four weeks to get my speed up.Lee has pencilled in the Kings XI Punjab's first IPL clash with the Delhi Daredevils April 12 as his comeback game.

No comments: