Wednesday, December 24, 2008

MATHEW HAYDEN'S RETIREMENT PLAN


Clearing the air on speculation over his retirement plan, Australia opening batsman Matthew Hayden on Wednesday said he would reassess his cricketing future after the Test series against South Africa ends next month.


"I'm still enjoying the game. I've still got a role to play as a senior player," Hayden was quoted as saying in the Australian Associated Press.


The 37-year-old has been under fire recently owing to a form slump as he has made only 282 runs at 23.5 in seven Tests since recovering from an Achilles injury.


"I've got to perform as we've all got to perform, because that's the expectation of Australian cricket. I really want to play good Test match cricket for this next series and then see where we are at," he said.


Hayden also said he was taking one series at a time and not looking at 2009 Ashes yet.


"We've still got one-dayers and a long summer ahead of us. Kellie, my wife, and I have just really put every series into context. We weigh it up, as simple as that. I'm not looking to (next year's tours of) South Africa or England at this stage, I'm looking at these next two Test matches," he said.

No comments: