Monday, December 29, 2008

SHANE WARNE GIVES A WARM WELCOME FOR DAY-NIGHT TESTS


The concept of night Tests may be seen as breaking away from tradition by purists but Australian spin legend Shane Warne feels the innovation can help bring back fans to cricket's longest format, which is struggling for spectators currently."I think day-night Tests will definitely help Test cricket. Test cricket is strong in Australia, England, South Africa and India.
"But we need other countries to support Test cricket and day-night Tests, as I said, will help," Warne said in a live chat with fans organised by The Herald Sun newspaper here.The outspoken former leg-spinner felt the standard of umpiring in international cricket is also dwindling fast and singled out Pakistan's Aleem Dar as the one making too many mistakes."To me Aleem Dar makes too many mistakes and needs a break. Umpiring standards are pretty poor," he remarked.


Warne, who once claimed to be happily retired, said he was well aware of the clamour for his return amid the continuing Aussie slump. And although he missed his days in the dressing room, Warne insisted that he was focussed on being a good dad right now."Of course I miss playing for Australia. It was nearly 20 years of my life and I enjoy the ups and downs of playing cricket. And I never saw it as a job," Warne said."I saw it as a sport and something to be enjoyed so that I can give my best for the country. My job is to be the best father I can possibly be to my children. I especially miss the Boxing day Test match," he added.

No comments: