Saturday, January 17, 2009

VAUGHAN WANTS TO PLAY ASHES DESPIRATELY


Former England captain Michael Vaughan has refused to write off his international career and believes he will have a role to play in the eagerly-anticipated 2009 Ashes.The 34-year-old, who was left out of the 16-man Test squad for the tour of the West Indies later this month, led England to their famous win over the Australians in 2005.But while his teammates head for the Caribbean, he will be resuming county duty at Yorkshire.I am 34 and I feel as though I've got a few more years left in me," Vaughan told the BBC.You have to have that excitement and buzz, and really want to go out there and perform, and I certainly have those feelings."Andrew Strauss will lead England in the West Indies following the turbulent departure of Kevin Pietersen and the sacking of coach Peter Moores."I still think he (Pietersen) could do a really good job," said Vaughan."As England captain he was very forward thinking, very committed, obviously ruffled a few feathers"But I don't mind that - Nasser Hussain did that as captain and did a fantastic job. Graeme Smith has done that for South Africa.Everyone has got to be themselves, and Kevin Pietersen tried to do it his way and he said last week in his (newspaper) column that he feels his captaincy days aren't finished yet."

No comments: